Thursday, April 21, 2011

All in a Day: Investing Time With Hubby



Our men have been on my heart so heavily lately I was especially excited when I saw this subject on the "All in a day" blog list. 

“Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” ~Ephesians 5:31

My husband is so precious to me I get frustrated easily if I do not get the time I desire with him. As you can probably imagine with four small children and being pregnant, time is always something that has to managed well or none of us get our desired family time. I'm so very passionate about how important marriage is and how we should hold strong to our marriage above all other earthly blessings. Today it has become very popular and has been deemed necessary to place your children above all else including your spouse. The Word of God is clear that this is not what He has called us to. It seems such an odd concept to me, if your marriage fails it does nothing productive for your children. It has a lifelong negative impact in fact. My husband is my very best friend and God has greatly blessed our marriage for holding strong to His word in Ephesians 5:31. 

 Life can be so very busy with little ones in tow but we must take the time to strengthen and nourish the foundation that those sweet little lives have come from.  

 Now onto some practical advice for investing the time needed with your love...

1: One thing my husband and I always try to do even when money is tight is when we receive unexpected money or if he has more earnings come in then usual,  we always try to use a small amount of that  to go and have a date night. Sometimes that consists of nothing more than a coffee stop and sitting down by the river alone for a while. Other times we get to go to dinner and a movie. We try very hard to save money for hard times and we want always be good stewards of what God has blessed us with. However, there was a time when that overtook our need for time spent together having fun. 

2: At least once a year we try to spend at least one night away by ourselves on a special date. We started this a couple of years ago when we attended Family Life's A Weekend To Remember marriage conference. They greatly encouraged us to stay at the hotel and really spend the weekend together without children. We did and what a difference it made! We had the time we really needed to remember why we fell in love! 

3: Take advantage of  every moment you can. If your children are off playing or sleeping don't go off and do your own thing, spend that time laughing about something that you both find funny, watching a movie, or just discussing your day. Luke and I both enjoy chit chatting about what we heard on the news or a funny happening of the day. If your marriage is already strained from lack of time spent together start small. Instead of trying to all of a sudden make that special night together happen, try getting back to looking to your spouse for your conversational needs. Be your husbands friend! 
 

4: And my final piece of advice is, in my opinion, the most important. As tired and un-sexy as you may feel, make love to your husband! I know, I know, it is simple and to the point but it is so very important. God has given us this amazing gift to connect with our husbands! Nothing makes me feel closer to my husband then when we are truly focused on nothing more than each other. 
  
The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. ~1 Corinthians 7:4





When it really comes down to it, just remember that our marriage is not just a covenant between our husbands and ourselves, but a covenant between our husbands, ourselves, AND our God!  It is a sacred union! Nourish it. It should be at the top of your priority list. 

Head on over and check out what some other ladies have to say about this! I'm sure you'll enjoy it! 

Carrie @ Our Full House
Christi @ Where the Creek Meets the Lake
Elizabeth @ Yes They’re All Ours
Kathy @ Kathy Mom of Many 
Kristy @ Homemaker's Cottage 
Lori @ Happy Busy Mama
Monica @ Natural Mama
Renee @ Bakers Dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment